My Drawings

Having a good artistic taste builds an animator's foundations. Without art elements inside an animation, the animation would just be objects moving. It would be hard to make a character alive or creating a landscape that is breath-taking without some sharp observations. I think the only way of building these observations are by seeing what you see, and express the elements of the things that you see on a piece of paper.

Here, I am going to show you some of my drawings and the story behind them.


THE BEGINNING

I started drawing at the age of 4. The first drawing I did in a formal class setting with teacher's assistance is this:

This drawing caught my teacher's eyes. She was very surprised that I made the fish THIS big on the middle of the paper. She said that the very daring method of drawing can help me express myself very well. She said my potential in drawing was very great, and I should really develop this potential into a forte.

Here are more of my works
(click on the images to expand)





STAGE 2

After 10 years of quitting the original drawing class, I resumed my drawing career again to build solid foundations for animation.
starting with the basics, I drew sculptures:


Then I moved on an drew some organic shapes, such as this: (recent work)





COLOUR DRAWINGS

I am pretty proud of this one:

My teacher gave me a photography of some sort, with a picture of a pond with blue colour scheme on the left and red scheme on the right. He asked me to use chalk to reproduce the picture. Since it was chalk, creativity could flow out very easily. I drew this picture, and went all out with every relevant colour. The result turned out to be good.



For my school's art class, I have to draw a creative picture every month. For the month of October, I decided to draw something organic and colourful, and searched in google images for references. After the search, this picture came up.

I drew down the flower just like how it is on that picture, but being original was my goal, so I was in need of a new background. After sitting on my sofa brainstorming about all sorts of possible backgrounds, such as a hand, a man holding the flower, a dog running around, and all kinds of crazy things. No good ideas came up, so I flipped through my old drawings looking for more inspiration.

When I was flipping through my stuff, THIS CAME UP.

It was just like that, the idea of a close-up of a girl's face would be shown and having that flower in her hair suddenly came up, and struck me.




You can see more work from me if you follow this LINK.


Update:

At around christmas 2009 I started doing this drawing of the Pillars of Creation inside the eagle nebula, and it took me another two weeks to finish.



Well, so far, this is the drawing that I put the most heart into, and within the 20-30 layers of pencil crayon colour, all of those little lines contained my vast appreciation for the universe and nature.


The drawing below is a little caricature of my friend, and that was drawn for his birthday. That was my first attempt at drawing something like this, and I think it was pulled off quite well. The drawing does show the essence of the person, and is really identifiable. He really enjoyed that drawing, and I do feel happy about that.



Drawn with a black pencil crayon.