Social Activities

When I take a trip outside of home and into the nature, I don`t just look and forget about it the next day. I either take a really long time sitting on my chair when I get back, and think about every memorable detail and burn it in my brain, or I write it down on a journal. The picture below was a journal of a trip I made to a lake when I was in China. I was about age 9 when I wrote this journal.

Translation:
My dad and I went to the east city lake, rented a motorboat, which I sailed around with my parent`s permission. While we were on the boat, my dad talked about the subject of beauty. I noticed some stuff too, such as the lake`s wavering water, the thin strands of grass, the bending pathway on the shore, and the very elegantly constructed porch, they were all beautiful. Ten minutes later, I saw a lot of waste floating on the surface of the water, then I saw some old lady picking up the garbage, and I noticed that they were pretty tired too. My dad said: ``beauty and hard work almost always interconnect. You can make nothing beautiful when you don`t work hard.`` That old lady was working hard and she was very tired, but because of her labour, the lake`s beauty can be accentuated.
After we got off the boat, my dad took me to look at some stone carvings of Chinese Calligraphy. My father saw the character ``lu`` (it is one of the characters in my Chinese name. It means road, or path.) and said: ``you see how it is written? Are you able to write it as beautifully as this?" I realized that Calligraphy really is beautiful, I really want to learn it.
This trip to east city lake gained me a lot. I have learned what is beautiful. I feel very happy.
(end of translation)

About a year ago, my family and I went to Deer Lake for a day in Burnaby, and my family wanted to make this trip memorable, as apposed to take a go-and-forget trip. My dad thought of an idea, which is to make a poster, and describe the main aspects of the place, both as a social experience for me, and for the family to remember.

We took pictures on the trip, hundreds of them. In the pictures, there are a lot of information about the place, and I gathered these information and condensed it on the poster.

This is the original poster (in Chinese):


And this is the English version of the poster (I photoshoped it):


I also wrote a little article about the scenery (in Chinese), and it was used as a textbook material in my Dad's own Level 7 Mandarin class.


These two pictures are photographs of the Columbia glacier in Alberta. It was taken about a two years ago when my family went on a nice long trip.

I also went to Salt Spring City in Vancouver island a year ago. Here are some pictures



The last picture was my dad telling a joke to the goat :)

Update:

There's a class in school that I took called Peer Tutor, which is a class that gives senior student opportunities to attend junior students' classes and assist both the teacher's teaching and the students' learning, the course evaluates how well the tutor helped out a class.

On one occasion, my class teacher asked me to teach one little lesson on a form of poetry, called "If poem". That form of poem takes a common phrase or saying translate it and hypothesize how the phrase would be if it's completely literal.

In order to teach that lesson, I had to write the poem myself. The poem that I wrote turned out so well that the teacher was in awe. This is how it is:

If the sky was the limit
There will be no astronauts that children look up to
There will be no exploration of space
And Astronomy would be a subject of myth.

If our imagination is limitless
We can understand the universe
We can understand what it is like to live in a four dimensional world
And the wonders of deep space would be at the low levels of our comprehended beauty

If beauty was only skin deep
Then the roots of trees would rot
The stems of flowers corrupt
And the mystic nebulae would merely be paintings.